On August 6, RapidScale’s monthly webinar series discussed the benefits of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and our CloudServer solution. Catch up with the conversation below:
Infrastructure as a Service is extremely important in the current business environment. When we talk about IaaS, we’re talking about virtualization, which has been around for 10+ years now. This is for people who want to get out of the hardware game, and RapidScale is really noticing a huge uptake of business in this area. IaaS is the outsourcing of computer infrastructure, like servers, software, data center space or network equipment, to clients as a service, on-demand. RapidScale’s IaaS solution is CloudServer. We are big believers in the fact that the cloud and solutions like CloudServer allow us to have business discussions with customers – we no longer have to talk about IT with the IT team. With the cloud, we can begin to have conversations with executives about their business and how they can leverage technology to improve productivity, increase efficiency and lower costs or minimize capital expenditure.
When talking about virtualization and IaaS, you have to know the fundamentals. Some businesses may already be in a virtual environment, and it’s important to talk with them in computing terms, such as CPU. CPU stands for Central Process Unit, and basically refers to the brains of the computer. Then there’s CORE, which refers to the actual processing units inside the CPU. This is the engine that runs the server for us today, and more importantly, runs your customers’ applications inside CloudServer. RAM stands for Random Access Memory, which is the high speed storage linked directly to the CPU. It’s important to get used to these types of terms, as they will come up quite often when discussing things like IaaS with an organization’s IT staff or upper management.
When looking at virtualization and the layers of the cloud, it’s like a technology lasagna. The bottom layer is the physical infrastructure layer, made up of things like storage, network, compute, hardware, etc. That’s where the Cisco FlexPods we use are located.
On top of the hardware layer is the virtualization layer. This is what allows us to go into the hardware and carve it up. Typical servers in a physical environment are often extremely underutilized because, traditionally, things like software require their own, individual physical server. When servers are running at only 20-25% of their ability, businesses aren’t getting the best bang for their buck – and that’s where virtualization comes in. This layer allows us to maximize the output of our physical assets, which is a win-win for everyone involved.
After that comes the automation layer, and then the key layers that make everything operational, including the management, orchestration and administrative and tenant interfaces.
When it comes to CloudServer, it all comes back to our facilities. We run out of Tier 3 Class 1 data centers, which means they are on the upper end of the evolution when it comes to these facilities. RapidScale itself is not in the brick-and-mortar business, so we allow companies like Savvis, TierPoint and Terremark to do what they do best, which is build and run these facilities. We simply go in and get the best possible environment for our compute stack to be sitting in, which is better for CloudServer users in the end. Tier 3 Class 1 more specifically means that everything is built with redundancy. So if something like a power converter fails, another one jumps in and picks up the load. This means customers see no drop in power, even if an entire section of the data center is lost. Situations like these are rare, but they do happen. That’s why we’re prepared. Our data centers are SAS70 SSAE 16 compliant and include security measures like on-site guards, man traps, biometric systems, key card protocols, bulletproof glass and more. Security is extremely important in these facilities, and it’s important to RapidScale and its customers.
The discussion about CloudServer can get pretty in-depth and technical, so if you want to see a recording of the full Webinar presented by RapidScale’s President of Sales Mark Szotkowski, click HERE
Otherwise, we can simplify it for you by taking it back to the benefits. There are nine main things we like to point out regarding CloudServer:
- Shift IT Focus – CloudServers IT Services can help shift the focus of your IT team, freeing it up to focus on more important tasks, while leaving server management to us (the experts!).
- Simplicity – With CloudServer, you can easily spin up or spin down your servers at the click of a button. Our portals make it easy to use, giving users instant access to manage and edit their subscriptions.
- Pay-As-You-Go – Truly pay only for what you use with this solution. This payment model eliminates the potential for over-buying and under-utilizing because you’re getting exactly what you need, when you need it.
- Scalability – CloudServer users can easily increase or decrease their compute or provision and de-provision servers with the click of a button. Many businesses need to be able to grow quickly so we make it easy to grow within our environment.
- Multi-Tenancy – Our solutions are mostly public cloud services, which means they are multi-tenant environments. Our team runs everything in the background and makes sure everyone has what they need. This shared server space helps eliminate expenses. It’s safe and secure, so no one will be able to access your data.
- Reduce TCO – By hosting servers with us, you can reduce CapEx and move to an OpEx model, eliminating the need to buy upfront assets. We’ve already invested in the best technology for you!
- Flexibility – Our easy-to-use portal interface allows you to access your server information from wherever you are. This means you can add, change or spin servers at any time, from any location.
- Best Hardware – We spare no expense in investing in the highest quality, most advanced infrastructure. This keeps quality and security in our CloudServer solution.
- Green Computing – And as an added benefit, CloudServer can help you be green! With this solution, users consume less power and less natural resources.
The solution is a great fit for new organizations, as we can offset a lot of capital expenditure at the beginning of business. New businesses get everything they need at the top of the line for prices they can afford. CloudServer is also perfect for a business that is growing quickly. That’s where the scalability and flexibility come in. Organizations can avoid idle servers and experience an OpEx model that is flexible. These businesses can say, “My IT infrastructure will cost this much,” forecasting it out for the next five years easily and avoiding constant refresh cycles.
For RapidScale, the best thing about working with the cloud is having conversations with various people in an organization. We work with business owners to achieve their goals for business with technology in mind. With CloudServer, you can be in front of a client and talk about solutions that will positively impact their business – the cloud and our IaaS solution will do just that.